Re: Postgres process

From: Craig Ringer <ringerc(at)ringerc(dot)id(dot)au>
To: iliya g <gyozov2004(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres process
Date: 2011-08-10 06:14:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 9/08/2011 11:26 AM, iliya g wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I need some help discovering the processes that run on an instance. I
> know that there are many processes running on one instance and they are
> all called postges, but I was hoping you can help me find a way to
> uniquely identify each one of them. I want to discover what the process
> name is and what the does. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

On operating systems that support it, postgresql changes the process
name to tell you what it's doing.

On other operating systems, use the pg_stat_activity view. See the manual.

If you still need more information, please read this so you provide
enough detail to get a proper answer before following up:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

... since you didn't even mention what operating system you were running
on in your question!

--
Craig Ringer