Re: WIP fix proposal for bug #6123

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Florian Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
Cc: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP fix proposal for bug #6123
Date: 2011-08-02 18:46:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers
"Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov> wrote:
> Florian Pflug <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org> wrote:

>> Hm, OK I see your point now I believe. This is not so much about
>> wanting to put things into BEFORe triggers which doesn't really
>> fit there, but instead avoiding weeks of debugging if someones
>> messes up.
>
> I would say that is the overriding concern.

I'm going to have to argue with myself -- really, the *biggest*
concern is that the current situation allows data to be quietly
mangled through non-obvious action-at-a-distance.  The damage might
not be discovered for a very long time.  Debugging the cause of the
mangling, once noticed, is the *next* most significant concern.

-Kevin