Idea: check SQL before copying to SQL dialogue.

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brandstetter(at)falter(dot)at>
To: pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Idea: check SQL before copying to SQL dialogue.
Date: 2011-07-20 17:05:59
Lists: pgadmin-hackers
Aloha!

A lot of work has been put into when and where to refresh the browser window.

 From my experience it is often a _good_ thing, that changes via SQL are not reflected in the browser window immediately. Serves me well as a poor
man's undo-tool.
On the other hand, one tends to forget about refreshing the browser, especially casual users who are not aware on what occasions the browser's display
is refreshed automatically.
The major pitfall is with the option "Copy SQL from main form to SQL dialogue" - and most people use that one. If you forget to refresh beforehand,
you may lose your most recent changes and may not even notice it.
Keeps happening to me.

How about this idea?
- Whenever the "Copy SQL from main form to SQL dialogue" feature kicks in, check if the displayed SQL is the latest version.
- If not, ask the user whether he wants the latest instead. (DO ask!)
(We already have a similar check befor saving anything from a properties dialog.)

Anybody trying hard enough can still screw up, with copy / paste, for instance. But this idea would take care of the major pitfall for me.

Any +1's on this?

Regards
Erwin

pgadmin-hackers by date

Next:From: pgAdmin TracDate: 2011-07-20 17:12:56