Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable CHECK constraints to be declared NOT VALID

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jim Nasby <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Enable CHECK constraints to be declared NOT VALID
Date: 2011-07-18 00:44:53
Lists: pgsql-committerspgsql-hackers

On 07/17/2011 08:36 PM, Robert Haas wrote:

>>> We do need a way to track this information.
>> +1 on everything Josh said.
>>
>> Does git allow for additional commit fields? That would allow for easy tracking without much additional burden on committers.
> I mean, there's git notes, but that's not exactly what we're looking
> for here, and I don't see how it would easy the burden on committers
> anyway, and it doesn't solve the problem of not being able to change
> things after the fact.  I think this is a clear-cut case of needing
> some sort of web application to manage this.  I'd even be willing to
> help fill in the relevant info.  But I'm not going to write it
> myself...

My understanding of git notes is that they can be added after a commit
without changing the commit - indeed that's apparently a large part of
their raison d'être:

    A typical use of notes is to supplement a commit message without
    changing the commit itself. Notes can be shown by git log along with
    the original commit message.

It is a pity that you can't define extra fields as is suggested above.

cheers

andrew