Re: BUG #6117: psql -c does not work as expected. a documentation bug? a program bug?

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Aleksey Tsalolikhin <atsaloli(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6117: psql -c does not work as expected. a documentation bug? a program bug?
Date: 2011-07-14 02:10:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 14/07/2011 4:53 AM, Aleksey Tsalolikhin wrote:

> Bug reference:      6117
> Logged by:          Aleksey Tsalolikhin
> Email address:      atsaloli(dot)tech(at)gmail(dot)com
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4.8
> Operating system:   CentOS 5.5 (64-bit)
>   a program bug?
> Details:
>
> The psql man page says, in the section for the -c option:
>
>      If the command string contains multiple SQL
>      commands, they are processed in a  single
>      transaction
>
> However when I run a command string with multiple
> SQL commands, apparently only the last one is
> processed.

What's happening is that all of them are processed, but only the output
for the last one is emitted. I agree that the documentation isn't clear
about that, and I'm not sure whether or not that was the intended result.

psql -c "CREATE TABLE test(x integer); INSERT INTO test(x) VALUES
(1),(2),(3); SELECT version(); SELECT * FROM test;"
---
  1
  2
  3
(3 rows)

Comments anybody? Just fix the docs, or is this a behaviour issue?

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park