Re: BUG #6101: ALTER TABLE hangs with AccessExclusiveLock

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: Dmitriy Savricov <y4gr5rzn(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #6101: ALTER TABLE hangs with AccessExclusiveLock
Date: 2011-07-09 08:14:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On 9/07/2011 4:05 PM, Dmitriy Savricov wrote:
> As i figured out, the reason is in "<IDLE> in transaction" process,
> which hangs after table filling. From yestaday, I could not understand
> what the process keeps the lock, and thinked that reason was inside
> FTS - from system tables (pg_class) it was impossible to determine who
> has locked the database. Today, I accidentally found the python
> process in transaction.
>
> Thank you very much for your help, and sorry for false report.

No worries. In future it'd be best to submit a test case that can be run
as an SQL file, along with things like the contents of pg_locks and
pg_stat_activity during the suspected fault, log excerpts, etc etc if
you find something that you think might be a bug. If in doubt, ask on
the pgsql-general mailing list, providing as much detail as you can.

Thanks for following up.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers