Re: R: Re: BUG #6091: Information

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "giuseppe(dot)petazzoni(at)libero(dot)it" <giuseppe(dot)petazzoni(at)libero(dot)it>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: R: Re: BUG #6091: Information
Date: 2011-07-06 11:02:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs
[top-posting because the OP didn't seem to see my first reply below theirs]

I repeat: this is not a bug report. SQL dumps from one database are not
expected to work in a different database system from a different vendor.
There are various migration and conversion tools that make it easier. It
helps if you stick to SQL-standard data type names, etc, but you will
still have plenty of problems. Writing compatible SQL for different
databases is somewhere between "hard" and "impossible".

To learn more, start with a google search for "SQL Dialects", and with
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL , particularly
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQL#Cross-vendor_portability . You should
also read this: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/SQL_Dialects_Reference to
learn more about the sort of vendor-specific differences. For database
conversion, do a Google search for "database conversion tool" or
"Database migration" and have a look at Talend's web page here:
http://www.talend.com/solutions-data-integration/data-migration.php .

I can't do much more for you than this.  You really need to study some
more of how SQL based systems in general work, and become more familiar
with their differences.

If you still have a problem or question that is related to PostgreSQL,
read this web page:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

then ask on the pgsql-novice mailing list here
(http://www.postgresql.org/mailpref/pgsql-novice) or on the pgsql-general.

Please do not reply to this email to the bug report mailing list with
more questions. If you have a bug report and can follow the bug
reporting guidelines, feel free to use the report form, but please don't
use it for general help questions.

--
Craig Ringer

POST Newspapers
276 Onslow Rd, Shenton Park
Ph: 08 9381 3088     Fax: 08 9388 2258
ABN: 50 008 917 717
http://www.postnewspapers.com.au/

pgsql-bugs by date

Next:From: Jeff DavisDate: 2011-07-06 17:00:11