Server starts, but I can't connect

From: Craigbert <postgresql(at)mysoftforge(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Server starts, but I can't connect
Date: 2011-07-06 02:46:47
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello All,

I am running PostgreSQL 8.4 on Kubuntu 11.04.
The server starts without any issues, but I can not connect. I keep
getting an invalid user/password error.
I am connecting to the localhost, default port, user = postgres,
database = postgres
I have tried setting the authentication methods to trust in the
pg_hba.conf file, but it does not make any difference.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Craigbert