Re: Contrib source

From: Craig Ringer <craig(at)postnewspapers(dot)com(dot)au>
To: gnuoytr(at)rcn(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Contrib source
Date: 2011-06-30 23:20:24
Lists: pgsql-general
On 07/01/2011 12:48 AM, gnuoytr(at)rcn(dot)com wrote:
> I just got wholly confused.  Synaptic makes it appear that *contrib is a separate entity.  And the source isn't in a src subdirectory, but in the contrib directory directly.
Debian, like most distros, produces several binary packages from a
single source package, so you can only install parts of it if you want.

It sounds like you installed the binary package for the contrib modules,
rather than downloading the source code.

If you'd used "apt-get source postgresql-8.4-contrib" (or whatever the
package name is) you would've found that the source package it
downloaded was just "postgresql-8.4".

If you "apt-cache show postgresql-8.4-contrib" you'll see that the
source package line will just show "postgresql-8.4" or something like
that, and will be the same for most of the other packages like the
client and server binary packages.

--
Craig Ringer