Re: time-delayed standbys

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: time-delayed standbys
Date: 2011-06-30 17:38:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/30/11 10:25 AM, Robert Haas wrote:
> So I think keeping it defined it terms of time is the
> right way forward, even though the need for external time
> synchronization is, certainly, not ideal.

Actually, when we last had the argument about time synchronization,
Kevin Grittner (I believe) pointed out that unsynchronized replication
servers have an assortment of other issues ... like any read query
involving now(). As the person who originally brought up this hurdle, I
felt that his argument defeated mine.

Certainly I can't see any logical way to have time delay in the absence
of clock synchronization of some kind. Also, I kinda feel like this
discussion seems aimed at overcomplicating a feature which only a small
fraction of our users will ever use. Let's keep it as simple as possible.

As for delay on streaming replication, I'm for it. I think that
post-9.1, thanks to pgbasebackup, the number of our users who are doing
archive log shipping is going to drop tremendously.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.