Re: installation size on embedded linux

From: Heikki Linnakangas <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: ravi12314(at)rediffmail(dot)com
Cc: "pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgeu-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: installation size on embedded linux
Date: 2011-06-27 09:39:16
Lists: pgeu-general
On 27.06.2011 08:32, ravi12314(at)rediffmail(dot)com wrote:
> What will be the minimum size of installation so that i can use it out for our embedded device?
> This device is having embedded linux on it.

(you'll get more and better answers on pgsql-general, pgeu-general is
for Europe-related things)

Hmm, I just did a fresh build and install of 9.1, and the installation
seems to be about 20MB. Add to that the data directory created with
initdb, which seems to be about 34MB. Once you start using the database,
you'll quickly create at least a few more WAL files, which are 16MB
each. So I'd say that 128MB is pretty much the minimum size of a working
PostgreSQL installation including the database. But you'll really want
to have some space for the data itself, and some headroom, so something
like 256MB would be more realistic.

The size of the binaries will depend on architecture and compilation
options, of course. I got the 20MB figure on x86_64, if the embedded
device uses 32-bit x86 or arm, the binaries will likely be somewhat smaller.

> How many concurrent access of table or database can happen in PostgreSQL?

I'm not sure I understand the question, but the number of simultaneous
connections can be configured with the max_connections parameter. How
much real work those connections can do concurrently depends on the
hardware.

--
   Heikki Linnakangas