Long Running Update

From: Harry Mantheakis <harry(dot)mantheakis(at)riskcontrollimited(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Long Running Update
Date: 2011-06-23 15:05:45
Lists: pgsql-performance

Hello

I am attempting to run an update statement that copies two fields from
one table to another:

UPDATE
table_A
SET
(
field_1
, field_2
) = (
table_B.field_1
, table_B.field_2
)
FROM
table_B
WHERE
table_B.id = table_A.id
;

Table "table_B" contains almost 75 million records, with IDs that match
those in "table_A".

Both "field_1" and "field_2" are DOUBLE PRECISION. The ID fields are
SERIAL primary-key integers in both tables.

I tested (the logic of) this statement with a very small sample, and it
worked correctly.

The database runs on a dedicated Debian server in our office.

I called both VACUUM and ANALYZE on the databased before invoking this
statement.

The statement has been running for 18+ hours so far.

TOP, FREE and VMSTAT utilities indicate that only about half of the 6GB
of memory is being used, so I have no reason to believe that the server
is struggling.

My question is: can I reasonably expect a statement like this to
complete with such a large data-set, even if it takes several days?

We do not mind waiting, but obviously we do not want to wait unnecessarily.

Many thanks.

Harry Mantheakis
London, UK