Re: Failover Datasource?

From: Bruce Adams <bruce(dot)adams(at)acm(dot)org>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Failover Datasource?
Date: 2011-06-17 01:55:15
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
In principal, I agree; in practice, that's not the way it's been done in
the Java application server world.

I have two readily available Java database connection pool
implementations available: the one bundled with Apache Tomcat and
Hibernate's c3p0. Neither of these directly support failover. They each
expect the lower level JDBC driver to deal with failover. (This is true
of BEA WebLogic and IBM WebSphere as well, at least as of a few years
ago when I last used them intensely.)

What I'm looking for is very standard stuff in the Java application
server world. The JDBC driver handles failover and/or load balancing to
multiple backend database servers.

- Bruce