Re: could not read block XXXXX in file "base/YYYYY/ZZZZZZ": read only 160 of 8192 bytes

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>, ***** ********** <zlobnynigga(at)yandex(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: could not read block XXXXX in file "base/YYYYY/ZZZZZZ": read only 160 of 8192 bytes
Date: 2011-06-16 20:28:48
Lists: pgsql-bugs
***** **********<zlobnynigga(at)yandex(dot)ru> wrote:

> [4-1] 2011-06-16 17:40:27 UTC LOG:  startup process (PID 15292)
> was terminated by signal 7: Bus error

> Signal 7 means  hardware problems. But all 10 replicas crashed
> within 10 minutes, say from 13:35 to 13:45.

> One important thing - all replicas and master are running on
> openvz

Were the PostgreSQL clusters sharing any hardware?

> there is no way to reject virtualization (it is a long story =))
>
> Please, I do not want to discuss my decision to set buffers to
> 12Gb and postgresql optimization at all. I just want to undestand
> why I'm getting such errors.

On the face of it, the most likely cause would seem to be hardware
or the virtual environment.  Without knowing more about the exact
messages on the replicas and how they compared to each other and the
master it's hard to know whether any of the replica failures were
from passing corrupted data from the master to the replicas, versus
having a common hardware/vm flaw.

-Kevin