Re: transition SRA PostgreSQL CE -> LPI-JP OSS-DB lost English version

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: transition SRA PostgreSQL CE -> LPI-JP OSS-DB lost English version
Date: 2011-06-09 22:19:40
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 06/09/2011 04:43 PM, Chris Mair wrote:
> I'm aware of http://www.postgresqlcertification.org/
> but that seems to be sort of abandoned.

That's not quite the right word. It's moving very slowly, but the last
burst of public activity was in August, and a second round of discussion
around it happened in person the last US conference in March. I've
talked a good percentage of the people doing training in the US, and
everyone seems to agree a community-driven certification program like
this was driving toward is worthwhile--and the statistics collected by
that project point in the direction toward what it would have to look like.

At this point, though, the main hurdle seems to be how you go about
creating the "question bank" needed to run a certification. The usual
sort of transparency open-source projects develop via is quite
incompatible with collaborating on that sort of thing. I keep meaning
to find another certification program for a FLOSS program to see if
there's any useful ideas to borrow from them. I've toyed with becoming
CompTIA: Linux+ or a Red Hat Certified Engineer just to explore their
process.

> (*) or Italian, for that matter, but that's even more unlikely...

If there is a completed community-driven PostgreSQL certification exam
finished in English, I guarantee we'll offer it in Italian and French as
well. But that doesn't help you now.