Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date: 2011-06-09 16:45:02
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

damien clochard wrote:
> My intention is provide advocacy material to local user groups in the
> form of a classy and eye-catching magazine.

And you succeeded at that, no question. And the idea of having a
magazine to give out, instead of the usual boring stuff, is an
interesting one.

There's a disconnect between where you're at and where I'm at here now
though, one that this whole discussion highlights. I'd rather see
something that's possible to produce in quantity, around the world, as a
more important priority than optimizing for "classy and eye-catching" at
the expense of other practical constraints. I think the PostgreSQL
community might be better served by something less ambitious,
graphically, that was easier to print on a global scale. I really
appreciate the work you put into targeting print magazine levels of
polish for the design of #00. I just don't think that's a sustainable
nor necessary quality level for a PUG/booth magazine to target in the
future. It's hard enough to get useful magazine-style content produced
on any regular schedule. If it's got to be graphically intense and it
ends up being challenging to distribute, too, you may have made the
requirements too hard to accomplish.