Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date: 2011-06-09 07:58:49
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Le 08/06/2011 23:55, Greg Smith a écrit :
> damien clochard wrote:
>> Of course, we can argue that there are different types of forks. Some
>> may consider that the name should be changed only if the content is
>> modified. I disagree with that. Personnally i think that (like body and
>> soul) layout and content can't be separated...
>>

> If your intention for releasing the magazine source code was to provide
> extra publicity around it, by allowing more copies to distribute at no
> cost to you, that isn't really compatible with your position here. Josh
> wants to print more copies so that more people see "PostgreSQL Magazine"
> and would be interested in future issues. Let's say he reformats and
> releases it as the first issue of "Awesome Postgre". Even though it
> will still reference your publication in the credit, some of the
> branding publicity you really should want here will be lost by that
> change. People remember the title more than they look at the
> attribution information.

My intention is provide advocacy material to local user groups in the
form of a classy and eye-catching magazine. I've been behind a
PostgreSQL booth more than once, and i've always been disappointed by
the quality of promotional leaflets and flyers we were giving.
Especially compared to level of what you can find for other RDBMS booth.

It's not about building a trademark. If after some time, a fork of the
magazine becomes more popular than the magazine itself, frankly it won't
bother me... I look at this as i look to the debian/ubuntu situation :
in terms of trademark ubuntu is far more popular, but that doesn't stop
people from getting involved in debian community and it doesn't lower
the quality of their work.

>> About the paper format, if people prefer US Letter instead of
>> A4, obviously we'll switch to Letter
>>

> US Letter is 8.5 x 11 = 216 × 279 mm, Legal 8.5 x 14 = 216 × 356 mm. A4
> is 8.27 × 11.69 = 210 × 297 mm. What I have done as someone who ends up
> working on material that publishes in both formats is limit the size I
> use to 8.27 x 11 = 210 x 279 mm. When printed on US Letter you get
> larger margins on the left and right, on A4 they are at the top and
> bottom, and the total area you have to work with drops. But if you
> assume all your printing will have some white margin anyway, this is not
> a terrible approach.

I clearly disagree with that. Just open any magazine you'll find : they
are never limited by a "printers margin" . Of course in most pages,
there will be an "editor margin" to easethe reading. But at any moment,
they have the ability to print a full-page photo or use the borders of
the pages.

I'm using a lot of full page photos or edge objects in the issue #00. I
think this is one of the things that make it look "like a real magazine".

For instance, take a look at page 8. The full page photograph gives a
lot of "power" to the following interview. It really has a strong effect
on readers.That might seem strange but I believe that this effect would
be lower with margin around the photo.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org