Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
Cc: Joshua Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date: 2011-06-08 21:55:58
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
damien clochard wrote:
> Of course, we can argue that there are different types of forks. Some
> may consider that the name should be changed only if the content is
> modified. I disagree with that. Personnally i think that (like body and
> soul) layout and content can't be separated...

If your intention for releasing the magazine source code was to provide
extra publicity around it, by allowing more copies to distribute at no
cost to you, that isn't really compatible with your position here.  Josh
wants to print more copies so that more people see "PostgreSQL Magazine"
and would be interested in future issues.  Let's say he reformats and
releases it as the first issue of "Awesome Postgre".  Even though it
will still reference your publication in the credit, some of the
branding publicity you really should want here will be lost by that
change.  People remember the title more than they look at the
attribution information.

> About the paper format, if people prefer US Letter instead of
> A4, obviously we'll switch to Letter

US Letter is 8.5 x 11 = 216 × 279 mm, Legal 8.5 x 14 = 216 × 356 mm.  A4
is 8.27 × 11.69 = 210 × 297 mm.  What I have done as someone who ends up
working on material that publishes in both formats is limit the size I
use to 8.27 x 11 = 210 x 279 mm.  When printed on US Letter you get
larger margins on the left and right, on A4 they are at the top and
bottom, and the total area you have to work with drops.  But if you
assume all your printing will have some white margin anyway, this is not
a terrible approach.