Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !

From: damien clochard <damien(at)dalibo(dot)info>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Magazine #00 is out ! Send feedback please !
Date: 2011-06-08 08:11:30
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Le 08/06/2011 03:57, Josh Berkus a écrit :
> All,
>
> Can someone please take on re-formatting this magazine in US paper
> sizes? I'd like to get a bunch printed for OSCON and the other US
> conferences.

Changing the format from A4 to Letter should be doable although it will
need a little work. All pages have to be reorganized. Here a few tips
for people who want to hack the magazine

* if possible, i would like that you change the title. Forks are ok
but i think it's better if they don't use the name "PostgreSQL Magazine"
* the source code is here : https://github.com/daamien/pgmag
* put your work under a CC-BY-SA compatible licence.
* you have to use Scribus 1.4.x The current version is 1.4.0rc3,
available on recent debian/ubuntu as scribus-ng
* the text might not fit entirely in the letter format. Slightly
reduce the image sizes to give more space for the text frames.
* first of all you have to modify the master pages, go to Edit>Master
Pages
* do not select all objects in the page and resize them all at once.
This is a quick and dirty solution. The result would seem akward for the
readers. You have to move and/or resize each object one by one
* except for the name of the magazine, you don't have to edit the
content or mess with the text styles.
* if you need any help, please send a mail at contact(at)pgmag(dot)org

Depending on how you're comfortable with Scribus, this should take
between 30 minutes and 2 hour. Personnally I don't have time to do this
before june 18th. Josh : what's your deadline ?

Anyway if you can't change the format to letter on time before OSCON,
you can still buy the A4 version from lulu.com :

http://www.lulu.com/product/couverture-souple/postgresql-magazine-%2300/15662484

I can't say it's cheap but the quality and delivery time are quite good.

--
damien clochard
dalibo.com | dalibo.org