Re: BUG #6050: Dump and restore of view after a schema change: can't restore the view

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Robert Haas" <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Daniel Cristian Cruz" <danielcristian(at)gmail(dot)com>, <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6050: Dump and restore of view after a schema change: can't restore the view
Date: 2011-06-03 17:18:12
Lists: pgsql-bugs

>> Personally my advice is to avoid USING: it wasn't one of the SQL
>> committee's better ideas.
>
> I don't understand why we can't just translate the USING into some
> equivalent construct that doesn't involve USING. I proposed that
> a while ago and you shot it down, but I didn't find the reasoning
> very compelling.

There's no query you can write with USING that you can't write in a
longer form with ON; but a query of moderate complexity can become
significantly shorter with USING, and thus easier to understand and
less prone to bugs than the ON form. I think it's a mistake to
discourage USING or under-support it compared to the more verbose
constructs.

-Kevin