Re: Please test peer (socket ident) auth on *BSD

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please test peer (socket ident) auth on *BSD
Date: 2011-05-31 13:43:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 05/30/2011 07:57 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> I've applied patches to fix Martin Pitt's report of peer auth failing on
> FreeBSD-amd64 kernels.  I tested it with FreeBSD but do not have the
> resources to check every other platform that uses the same code branch
> in auth_peer.  The buildfarm will soon tell us if the patches fail to
> compile anywhere, but since the buildfarm doesn't test that
> authentication path, it's not going to be as obvious whether it works.
>
> So, if you have a BSD-ish machine, please try HEAD and see if peer auth
> (or "ident" auth in older branches) still works for you.  Extra points
> if you find out it used to be broken on your machine.  (Hey Stefan, did
> you ever try that on spoonbill?)

There's actually no reason we couldn't test this in the buildfarm.
Turning it on unconditionally is a one-line change. Making it happen
just on the right platforms would be a few more lines, but nothing much.
It breaks the dblink regression tests, so we'd either have to get around
that or turn it off when checking contrib. I can add this if you think
it's worth it.

But I did try it on my FBSD/x86_64 VM and it passed the tests up till it
got to dblink, so there's another data point for you anyway.

cheers

andrew