Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>
Cc: Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Getting a bug tracker for the Postgres project
Date: 2011-05-30 05:09:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 05/30/2011 04:26 AM, Greg Stark wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 3:36 PM, Joe Abbate <jma(at)freedomcircle(dot)com> wrote:
>>  Anyone interested in the tracker, please visit
>> and add your
>> feedback/input.
> I think this illustrates exactly what we *don't* want to happen with a
> bug tracker. We want the discussion to stay *here* not on some other
> medium accessible only through the web and editable only through a web
> interface....
> Also your summary seems to have missed the point on the "has email
> interface" requirement. The table of features you listed has just
> "Creation of bugs via mail interface" as the only feature that is
> accessible from email.
> I'm not sure what Robert meant but I suspect he meant what I would
> want which is the ability to add comments, close bugs, set other
> properties, etc. By email. My biggest gripe about bugzilla was that it
> sent you an email with updates to the bug but you couldn't respond to
> that email.

well bugzilla has an inbound email interface as well that can both be
used to creande and to manipulate bugs (as in "mails that have the
bug-id in the subject will be added as a comment").
The demo installation did that by simply being subscribed to -bugs.

> My ideal bug tracker is the debian one which basically stays out of
> your way and lets you cc any message to a specific bug at
> nnnn(at)bugs(dot)debian(dot)org which archives that message in the bug and sends
> it to anyone listening to the bug. And you can have control commands
> to close it or edit it -- basically making all our existing "that's
> not a bug bleah bleah" messages into "close nnn; that's not a bug
> bleah bleah" messages.

that is what every emailinterface should be able to provide ;). However
the real issue with say BZ(or most other trackers) in this role is that
in order to attribute a bug report or a comment to the original
author/person you have to trust the "From" in the email and basically
autocreate an account based on that information for the tracker to work