Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-30 01:19:04
Lists: pgsql-www

On 05/29/2011 02:00 PM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> On Sun, May 29, 2011 at 19:36, Jeff Davis<pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> GitHub doesn't offer mailing lists at all. Not all projects need a
>> mailing list, but I've found it to be helpful for the temporal project.
>>
> GitHub beats sourceforge on pretty much everything except for this one
> thing, imho. But if that's considered critical enough, I agree it's
> not a good choice.

Agreed on all that. I think the decision tree for where to host a
projects might look like this:

-Are a critical project to the PostgreSQL infrastructure:
git.postgresql.org + PostgreSQL hosted mailing list
-Don't care about mailing lists or web space: github
-Need a basic mailing list, but don't care about integration with the
repo: github + Google Groups
-Need a mailing list with repo integration: sourceforge

To help provide a resource here, I just wrote up a little guide to
PostgreSQL related project hosting on the wiki:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Project_Hosting

That includes a little blurb about the uncertainty around PgFoundry. If
shutdown plans proceed, that might be worth expanding on with more
hosting details, or notes on doing a migration. I started to draw a
little chart showing which features are supported on each hosting
platform, but suspect that I could probably find such a table elsewhere
given a bit more time.