Re: How can I check the treatment of bug fixes?

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, MauMau <maumau307(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How can I check the treatment of bug fixes?
Date: 2011-05-28 10:02:09
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 05/27/2011 07:55 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:21 PM, Tom Lane<tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>  wrote:
>> "Joshua D. Drake"<jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>  writes:
>>> You have done what you need to do to check the status. Someone who knows
>>> something about the bug should speak up at some point.
>>
>> That patch is waiting for a committer who knows something about Windows
>> to pick it up.
>
> It might be useful, in this situation, for the OP to add this patch to
> the CommitFest application.
>
> https://commitfest.postgresql.org/action/commitfest_view/open
>
> Also, I think it's about time we got ourselves some kind of bug
> tracker.  I have no idea how to make that work without breaking
> workflow that works now, but a quick survey of my pgsql-bugs email
> suggests that this is far from the only thing slipping through the
> cracks.

well as for just keeping track of -bugs I guess a very simple schema
would go pretty far:

* have some tool monitor the list and if it sees a new bug# make it a
ticket/bugreport
* if that bug number is mentioned in a commit close it
* provide a dashboard of:
   a) bugs that never got a response
   b) bugs that got a response but never have been mentioned in a commit
   c) bugs that got mentioned in a commit but no stable release was done yet
* provide a trivial interface (either mail or simple web interface -
maybe in CF style) to make issues as "not a bug" or "not postgresql-core
product" (which seems to be the top two non-big related inquiries we get
on -bugs)

this is more or less exactly what I hacked up back in early 2008 based
on bugzilla (without actually exposing the BZ User-Interface at all -
just using it as a tracker core and talking to it using the API it
provides).

Independent of whether we want to do a full tracker or not anywhere in
the future we could at least start by prototyping with better automatic
monitoring of -bugs.

Stefan