Re: serveRAID M5014 SAS

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
Cc: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>, postgres performance list <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: serveRAID M5014 SAS
Date: 2011-05-26 23:19:27
Lists: pgsql-performance
Mark Kirkwood wrote:
> You can interrogate the config of the card and the raid 10 array using
> the megaraid cli package - you need to read the (frankly terrible)
> manual to discover which switches to use to determine battery and
> cache status etc. If you email me privately I'll get you a link to the
> relevant docs!

That's assuming the MegaCli utility will work against IBM's version of
the card.  They use an LSI chipset for the RAID parts, but I don't know
if the card is so similar that it will talk using that utility or not.

The main useful site here is
http://tools.rapidsoft.de/perc/perc-cheat-sheet.html ; here's how to
dump all the main config info from an LSI card:

MegaCli64 -LDInfo -Lall -aALL

You want to see a line like this:

  Current Cache Policy: WriteBack, ReadAheadNone, Direct, No Write Cache
if Bad BBU

For the arrays.  And then check the battery like this:

MegaCli64 -AdpBbuCmd -aALL