Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal to shutdown pgFoundry
Date: 2011-05-23 20:12:54
Lists: pgsql-www

Josh Berkus wrote:
> I can personally find other solutions
> such as running my own mailman instance somewhere. Whether that's a
> better solution for the community, I don't know.

I consider this one of the biggest trouble spots to roll your own
solution to, in general. It's probably more valuable to consider
offering help with than some of the other things the community admins
might do. I'm happy to see the PostgreSQL infrastructure dump some of
the easily replaced bits of pgFoundry that can be moved, but this one we
really could still use the most help with.

Coping with the complexity that spammers have forced into mailing list
management is a constant infrastructure headache in my own project
plans. In particular, there's all this ugly downside you can get into
if your mail server IP address ends up on one of the blacklists.
Running a mail server, especially one that's got lists on it, is one of
those things I avoid whenever possible. Lots of risks and overhead
there. Probably why there are so few good services doing it available.