Re: select records by nearest value

From: Frank Bax <fbax(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: select records by nearest value
Date: 2011-05-14 12:27:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

On 05/14/11 06:49, e-letter wrote:
> Readers,
>
> A database is structured as follows:
>
> 1 text1
> 1000 text2
> 500 text3
>
> where column 1 consists of integers. Is it possible to create query
> that will select the most appropriate records for a sum of integers.
> For example, if the target sum of integers is 50, is it possible to
> select a set of records that will be closest to this value?

I think your question is a variation of the "nearest neighbour" problem.

I found this page useful, even though I do not use PostGIS.

http://www.bostongis.com/PrinterFriendly.aspx?content_name=postgis_nearest_neighbor

In your case the "distance" function might be as simple as
"ABS(id - 50)"
where "id" is the first column in your sample table above.