Re: Changing the sponsors page

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Changing the sponsors page
Date: 2011-05-13 00:53:20
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On 05/12/2011 02:49 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> All,
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors
>
> I don't like this page. I've been dragging my feet on updating it
> because I don't think it works the way it is at all.
>
> The current scheme of Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze was designed by Josh
> Drake, and put through because he did the web work to make it happen.

I was the catalyst to get it moving but it was discussed ad-naseum with
you, dave page and magnus (and myself).

> However, I don't think the criteria there make a lot of sense, and we've
> never had consensus on the "level" scheme -- we've just kept what's
> there because nobody could be bothered to rework it.

That is also not true. See comments above.

> Furthermore, I
> don't think it's possible to come up with a consensus on any system
> which involves more than 2 levels and apply it.

That isn't true. There was a large discussion between you, Dave, Magnus
and I. It has been documented and agreed upon.

> I think this scheme would be a lot simpler and easier to maintain, and
> result in less arguing about what level someone should be.

Except that nobody argues about it. The sponsorship team discusses and
just runs with it. Can you provide some evidence of blockage in terms of
getting people appropriate sponsorship levels?

The only hold up is getting people to actually edit the page. Which
granted is always a slow process cause nobody wants to do that.

I am not opposed to a new scheme should there be an actual basis to
change the one we have.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

@cmdpromptinc - @postgresconf - 509-416-6579