Changing the sponsors page

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Changing the sponsors page
Date: 2011-05-12 21:49:15
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

All,

http://www.postgresql.org/about/sponsors

I don't like this page. I've been dragging my feet on updating it
because I don't think it works the way it is at all.

The current scheme of Platinum/Gold/Silver/Bronze was designed by Josh
Drake, and put through because he did the web work to make it happen.
However, I don't think the criteria there make a lot of sense, and we've
never had consensus on the "level" scheme -- we've just kept what's
there because nobody could be bothered to rework it. Furthermore, I
don't think it's possible to come up with a consensus on any system
which involves more than 2 levels and apply it.

Therefore, I would like to simplify this page into two categories: Major
Sponsors and Sponsors.

Major Sponsors would be companies who have supported one or more
full-time contributors, or the equivalent, for more than one year.

Sponsors would be any company who has consistently contributed
substantial developer time and/or money to PostgreSQL (i.e. several
$thousand) for a year or more. A company which does *only* event
sponsorships wouldn't count, because they already get credit through the
event.

I think this scheme would be a lot simpler and easier to maintain, and
result in less arguing about what level someone should be.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.