ODBC, Access and updates/deletes alter 0 rows!

From: "Simon Hardingham" <simon(at)netxtra(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ODBC, Access and updates/deletes alter 0 rows!
Date: 2000-08-02 17:08:54
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Hi,

I have been using the Postgres ODBC driver to connect from Access 97 & 2000
clients to postgres 6.5.3 running on Redhat 6.2 without any sort of
problems. We have just finished upgrading to 7.0.2 and also updated to the
latest ODBC driver, 6.50.

Since then though we are having trouble making changes to fields from
Access, ie. UPDATEs and DELETE's. Some tables seem to work fine, maybe
limited to those which do not have many rows or fields. However, generally
there is an update error suggesting that someone else has modified the data,
with options to copy to clip-board etc. With the ODBC logging switched on I
can take the SQL it is generating and paste this into psql and run it. This
will always say that o rows have been updated or deleted.

For all these queries the WHERE clause details the value for each of the
fields in the table for that particular table. Is there a limit on the
length of a query, although these seem to vary in length quite a lot. I can
normally get it to work by removing certain of the fields from the where
clause, seems to work best if I remove the clauses which are referring to
float4 fields, but again may just be coincidence.

I have looked all over the documentation for some explanation and changed
all the ODBC driver parameters, but can't get it work reliably. I can
supply much more information such as table layouts, queries, sizes, platform
etc if required but I am not too sure where to go from here and so what
might be relevant. If anyone can offer any help I can supply this.

Thanks for any help provide and I hope I can get my screaming users back to
work and happy again soon.

Thanks

Simon

_/ Simon Hardingham - netXtra Ltd - UK _/
_/ Tel: +44 (0) 1787 319393 Fax: +44 (0) 1787 319394 _/
_/ http://www.netxtra.co.uk simon(at)netxtra(dot)co(dot)uk _/