Re: Installation questions

From: Joe <joc(at)amerifloodsolutions(dot)com>
To: Josh Williams <joshwilliams(at)ij(dot)net>
Cc: spug(at)postgresql(dot)org, michael(at)amerifloodsolutions(dot)com
Subject: Re: Installation questions
Date: 2011-05-11 17:18:07
Lists: spug

On 5/10/2011 6:19 PM, Josh Williams wrote:
> Hi Joe,
>
> First of all, great to see some activity in the area. :)
>
> On Tue, 2011-05-10 at 17:50 -0400, Joe wrote:
>> I have installed PostgreSQL, along with PostGIS, on my system. However,
>> whenever I try to connect to the PostgreSQL Server, not running as a
>> localhost, I get the message:
>>
>> could not connect to server: Connection refused (0x0000274D/10061) Is
>> the server running on host "192.168.1.13" and accepting TCP/IP
>> connections on port 5432?
> This sounds like Postgres is either not running, or there's a firewall
> on your server that's actively rejecting connections on the port.
>
> I would guess the former, as I'd assume a firewall would always block
> connections on port 5432 and you'd never see the next error message, but
> it's still a possibility.
>

>> FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for host "192.168.1.8", user "postgres",
>> database "postgres", SSL off
> Have you made any changes to your pg_hba.conf file? It sounds like
> there's just not an entry in it for the local network. You'll likely
> want to drop a line into the file that looks similar to:
>
> # Connections from the local LAN
> host all all 192.168.1.0/24 md5
>
> ... assuming you want to allow connections from that address range,
> adjust as necessary.
>
> Trigger a reload or restart of Postgres, and that should let you in.
> What version of Postgres are you running? And in what environment?
>
> -- Josh

1) It is one of the latest versions, 9.02 or so, PostgreSQL Server on
the Windows server below. I am running the client on a Windows 7
Professional.

2) I will be on a Windows 7 Professional in a short time. Right now we
are working on Windows Server 2003 Enterprise Addition. It is way to
heavy for our needs. We are sending it back for the Professional
version of Windows 7 and do peer to peer within the windows operating
environment.

I will re-run with your suggestions.

Right now we have a total of 4 users, really nothing, but I still wish
to learn PostgreSQL. One big reason is that I am also a Professional
Surveyor and Mapper, and I have thoughts that the Survey, Mapping
community could use the powerful functions a Postgres, especially with
PostGIS, I am currently climbing that hill also.

Your comments are very helpful.

Thank you so much for your time.

Sincerely,
Joe O'Connor