Re: Migrating Data from MySQL to PostgreSQL

From: "Lacey L(dot) Powers" <lacey(dot)leanne(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pdxpug(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Migrating Data from MySQL to PostgreSQL
Date: 2011-05-05 23:48:25
Lists: pdxpug
On 05/05/2011 04:35 PM, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   There is an interesting database we need for a project that is
> downloadable as the equivalent of postgres' pg_dumpall. The file contains
> the DDL for the tables and supporting features and there are 19 separate
> files containing the data with the pipe symbol separating attributes.
> Before
> I upset psql I want to check my thinking with you experts.
>
>   I modified the DDL statements to remove the apparently
> MySQL-specific calls
> to a database engine, and I modified the data load statements to use the
> postgres copy command.
>
>   My question is whether I need to prepend a slash to the copy command
> as I
> would when running it from the command line.
>
>   I'll be happy to provide samples and further information if that's
> desired.
>
> Rich

Hello Rich,

In all of the times where I've migrated data from MySQL to PostgreSQL,
this is all I have needed, for example:

COPY table (col1,col2,col3,col4) FROM stdin;

<tab separated data goes here/>

Assuming all of your columns are of the correct types and size,
everything should load just fine from that file with a psql command:

psql -U postgres mydb -f data_file.copy

Hope that helps! =)

Regards,

Lacey