psql command line client behaviour

From: Jiri Sadek <jiri(dot)sadek(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql command line client behaviour
Date: 2011-05-05 09:34:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I was told about behaviour of psql command line client that seems as bug
to me. When I am connected to server (cmdline client, interactive mode)
and server is restarted next query fails and client try to reconnect to
server. Problem arise when I send more queries (not speaking that this
may not be a good habit) at once - on first one client detects that
connection is lost and try to reconnect and then rest of queries are
executed (but not the first one). This can have bad consequences (e.g.
if first query is BEGIN;):

sample (postgresql 8.3.15):

(test(at)[local:/var/opt/testdb/pg_sockets]:20000) 10:55:34 [testdb]
#> select 10; select 20;
?column?
----------
10
(1 row)

Time: 0.142 ms
?column?
----------
20
(1 row)

Time: 0.039 ms
(test(at)[local:/var/opt/testdb/pg_sockets]:20000) 10:55:42 [testdb]
#> select 10; select 20;
FATAL: terminating connection due to administrator command
before or while processing the request.
The connection to the server was lost. Attempting reset: Succeeded.
?column?
20
(1 row)

Time: 0.193 ms

I would suggest to not execute any query or all of them after reconnect.

Jiri