Re: Bidirectional replication

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bidirectional replication
Date: 2011-05-03 06:31:28
Lists: pgsql-general

On 05/02/11 11:15 PM, tushar nehete wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there any way to do bidirectional replication for Postgresql Plus
> Advance Server 8.4.5?

PostgreSQL Plus Advanced Server is a commercial product sold by
EntepriseDB, you probably should ask them

> I tried SLONY-I but its master-slave asynchronous replication.
> Can we configure master-master replication by slony?
>

> Or is there any trusted tool to do it?

In general, master-master replication is not easy to do efficiently and
correctly. every implementation on any database suffers from issues
with either very poor performance due to global synchronous locking and
2 phase commits, or it suffers from data collisions, which can only be
avoided with careful application design and programming, not easily
enforced at the database server.

AFAIK, the only postgres replication systems that even pretend to
support master-master are things like Bucardo that do the replication at
the SQL layer, by sending all update/insert/delete commands to both
servers, and under certain sequences of concurrent queries, you could
end up with different results on the two servers.