Re: archive_timeout behavior (8.4.6)

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: archive_timeout behavior (8.4.6)
Date: 2011-05-02 04:09:36
Lists: pgsql-admin

On 04/22/2011 08:23 PM, Brian Fehrle wrote:
> So long story short, if a cluster has zero activity, and
> archive_timeout is not set to 0, when it reaches that timeout should
> it generate a file, or just skip because it would be 100% empty?

You're right about what you've seen here, there is some logic in the
WAL/checkpoint code that can avoid doing anything when the timeout hits,
if there hasn't been any new WAL written since the last one. That
hasn't changed for a while now though (since I've been watching that
part of the source code at least) so I'm not sure what differences
between 8.4.6 and earlier 8.4 versions you think you've observed.