Re: Wiki content license

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wiki content license
Date: 2011-04-30 02:48:17
Lists: pgsql-www
On 04/07/2011 07:19 AM, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> The content of our wiki is licensed per this page:
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_wiki:Copyrights
>
> However, from what I can tell, this is only linked once you open the
> editor on a page. Thus, as a visitor, you can't see what license
> things are available under.
>
> Can we get this into for example the list of links at the bottom of
> each page, in some easy way?
>
> if not, we should just link it from
> http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_wiki:About, but having a
> direct link is probably better?

Don't all shout at once.  This actually impacts some of the commercial
terms fuzziness I already caused trouble over.  Some of the things I was
concerned about were uploads that seemed to be copyrighted portions of
the uploader's software, which isn't good for them or the wiki.

Since there wasn't a rush to fix the page template (which probably is
more trouble than it's worth), I just improved the following pages:

http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_wiki:Copyrights
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_wiki:General_disclaimer
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/PostgreSQL_wiki:About

To make the copyright license issue more obvious instead.  And to
further eliminate using the word "licence", which was particularly
dubious in cases where it was being used as a verb.

Eliminating the similarities between the disclaimer and about page might
be helpful too.  But I don't see an obvious way to refactor out the
redundant bits that keeps all the useful warnings in each spot, so
leaving that overlap in there for now.