Extreme bloating of intarray GiST indexes

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Extreme bloating of intarray GiST indexes
Date: 2011-04-28 19:11:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Hackers,

I'm currently looking at a database which has some extreme bloating of
intarray GiST indexes.  As in 1000% bloating in only a few months.  This
is not a particularly high-transaction-rate database, so the bloating is
a little surprising; I can only explain it if vacuum wasn't cleaning the
indexes at all, and maybe not even then.

We're currently instrumenting the database so that we can collect a bit
more data on update activity, but in the meantime, has anyone seen
anything like this?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.