Re: BUG #5995: connection pooling not working

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Suprabhat" <suprabhatm(at)gmail(dot)com>,<pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5995: connection pooling not working
Date: 2011-04-27 13:44:37
Lists: pgsql-adminpgsql-bugs
"Suprabhat" <suprabhatm(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> FATAL: too many connections already and there are too many
> postgres processes on the server. We have used connection
> pooling methods after unsuccessfully using pgpool2.

Is there a thread somewhere where you were trying to get help
configuring pgpool?

> Probably we are doing some basics wrong.
>
> Total number of connections we are trying to make is something
> around 300 concurrently.

Well, the main point of a connection pool is to allow multiple
client-side processes or threads to see a large number of logical
connections to the database while those funnel down to a small
number on the database side.  300 active users might do quite well
on a connection pool which maintains 10 or 20 connections to the
database.  It sounds like you haven't used the correct settings to
achieve that.

-Kevin