Re: Proposal - asynchronous functions

From: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Sim Zacks <sim(at)compulab(dot)co(dot)il>, "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Proposal - asynchronous functions
Date: 2011-04-27 07:22:37
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/26/2011 11:17 PM, Robert Haas wrote:
> IIRC, we kind of got stuck on the prerequisite wamalloc patch, and that sunk the whole thing. :-(

Right, that prerequisite was the largest stumbling block. As I
certainly mentioned back then, it should be possible to get rid of the
imessages dependency (and thus wamalloc). So whoever really wants to
implement asynchronous functions (or autonomous transactions) is more
than welcome to try that.

Please keep in mind that you'd need an alternative communication path.
Not only for the bgworker infrastructure itself, but for communication
between the requesting backend and the bgworker (except for
fire-and-forget jobs like autovacuum, of course. OTOH even those could
benefit from communicating back their state to the coordinator.. eh..
autovacuum launcher).

Regards

Markus