Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?

From: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "stored procedures" - use cases?
Date: 2011-04-26 22:55:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Another point, as there appear to be diverging camps about
> supertransactional stored procedures vs. autonomous transactions, what
> would be the actual use cases of any of these features? Let's collect
> some, so we can think of ways to make them work.

Here's where I wanted autonomous transactions just last week, and didn't
have them so I had to use a python script outside the database:

-- doing a CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY for 150 partitions on a partitioned
table.

-- doing a backfill operation for 10GB of computed data, taking 8 hours,
where I don't want to hold a transaction open for 8 hours since this is
a high-volume OLTP database.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.