Re: offline consistency check and info on attributes

From: Tomas Vondra <tv(at)fuzzy(dot)cz>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: offline consistency check and info on attributes
Date: 2011-04-26 20:39:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Dne 25.4.2011 18:16, Alvaro Herrera napsal(a):
> Excerpts from Tomas Vondra's message of dom abr 24 13:49:31 -0300 2011:
>
>> I've figured out the catalog-to-file mapping (in relmapper.c), but now
>> I'm wondering - it's just another relation, so I'd have to read the
>> block, parse the items and interpret them (not sure how to do that
>> without the pg_attribute data itself). So I wonder - what would be an
>> elegant solution?
>
> This reminds me -- we need to have pg_filedump be able to dump the
> relmapper stuff.  I was going to write a patch for it but then I forgot.

Was this a polite question whether I volunteer to write that patch? ;-)

I've never used pg_filedump and I'm not quite sure what exactly is
needed, but it seem simple enough to do it. OK, I know the iceberg that
sank Titanic seemed small too ...

I think I'll move the integrity check to the db, so that it's possible
to check the column lengths etc. (pageinspect seems like a good module
to mutilate in this direction) but I still believe it'd be useful to
have an offline tool for basic checks. Would pg_filedump be a resonable
tool to do that?

regards
Tomas