new AM, catalog entries

From: Yves Weißig <weissig(at)rbg(dot)informatik(dot)tu-darmstadt(dot)de>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: new AM, catalog entries
Date: 2011-04-26 14:32:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi list,

I really have problems with the catalog entries for my AM.
In the doc
(http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/index-catalog.html) it
says "anyone able to write a new access method is expected to be
competent to insert an appropriate row for themselves." :-) This is true
so far for me as I know how to insert a new row in pg_am, but I don't
know how to fill in the entries in pg_proc. When I try to register my AM
methods
(http://developer.postgresql.org/pgdocs/postgres/index-functions.html) with:
CREATE FUNCTION ebibuild(internal, internal, internal)
RETURNS internal
AS 'ebibuild'
LANGUAGE internal
STRICT;
I keep getting: ERROR: there is no built-in function named "ebibuild"
This error message somehow leads me to fmgr.c where the contents of an
array are inspected (in line 134). This array fmgr_builtins is built by
fmgr_builtins "Gen_fmgrtab.pl" from pg_proc.h (when? during make?) Do I
have to edit pg_proc.h manually to add my methods for the new AM? I am a
little bit to highly confused.

Greetz, Yves