Re: Time to put theory to the test?

From: Mark Kirkwood <mark(dot)kirkwood(at)catalyst(dot)net(dot)nz>
To: sisson(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com, wultsch(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time to put theory to the test?
Date: 2011-04-26 06:30:51
Lists: pgsql-performance
On 26/04/11 15:04, Rob Wultsch wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 12:30 PM, J Sisson<sisson(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com>  wrote:
>> machines, and virtually every MySQL machine has required data cleanup
>> and table scans and tweaks to get it back to "production" status.
> Tip from someone that manages thousands of MySQL servers: Use InnoDB
> when using MySQL. Using a crash unsafe product will yield undesirable
> results when a server crashes. It is also faster for many use cases.
>
> InnoDB is crash safe. It is just that simple.

+1

Or even switch to the Mariadb fork and use the crash safe Aria engine
[1] instead of Myisam if you must be without transactions. That has the
additional benefit of getting out from under the "Big O" - which is
always nice!

Cheers

Mark

[1] I have not personally tested that Aria is crash safe, but can attest
that Innodb certainly is.