Fwd: [PERFORM] Time to put theory to the test?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Fwd: [PERFORM] Time to put theory to the test?
Date: 2011-04-25 19:41:41
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[PERFORM] Time to put theory to the test?
Date: 	Mon, 25 Apr 2011 14:30:59 -0500
From: 	J Sisson <sisson(dot)j(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: 	pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>

Not sure if this is the right list...but:

Disclaimer:  I realize this is comparing apples to oranges.  I'm not
trying to start a database flame-war.  I just want to say thanks to
the PostgreSQL developers who make my life easier.

I manage thousands of databases (PostgreSQL, SQL Server, and MySQL),
and this past weekend we had a massive power surge that knocked out
two APC cabinets.  Quite a few machines rebooted (and management is
taking a new look at the request for newer power cabinets heh).
Talking theory is one thing, predicting results is another...and yet
the only thing that counts is "what happens when 'worst-case-scenario'
becomes reality?"

Long story short, every single PostgreSQL machine survived the failure
with *zero* data corruption.  I had a few issues with SQL Server
machines, and virtually every MySQL machine has required data cleanup
and table scans and tweaks to get it back to "production" status.

I was really impressed...you guys do amazing work.  Thank you.

pgsql-advocacy by date

Next:From: Marc CousinDate: 2011-04-26 08:44:01