Re: Applying GSoc prosgres and do contribution

From: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: pgsql-students(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Applying GSoc prosgres and do contribution
Date: 2011-04-21 23:41:33
Lists: pgsql-students
On 04/05/2011 11:23 AM, Selena Deckelmann wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 5, 2011 at 8:13 AM, HuangQi<huangqiyx(at)gmail(dot)com>  wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I was looking at the Finish JSON data type work, but as I check the achieved
>> mail. It seems it already has 4 proposals. So I don't know whether it still
>> needs help.
>> And I'm interested in the Improve the auto-configuration script (Python or
>> Perl). But I don't know much about Python or Perl yet. How could I get the
>> further idea of what this auto-configuration script is about?
>>
> Here's the source code:
>
> https://github.com/gregs1104/pgtune
>
> Have a look at that. I am not sure what the current list of TODOs is
> for it

Documented in https://github.com/gregs1104/pgtune/blob/master/TODO ; a
little cryptic, but in several cases the relevant code has comments
about the details too.  It's in Python because all previous attempts to
do this were in Perl and never got to where they worked.  I'm not going
to claim those two facts are correlated, but now that pgtune is shipping
in Debian I have some satisfaction that I didn't make a completely wrong
choice.

The remaining work is all easy, but extremely boring and provides little
satisfaction for the time spent on it.  Completely feasible for a
student project, perfect way to get your hands dirty doing what real
development requires.  But since it's not the sort of sexy auto-tuning
work people think it is I don't expect to ever get anyone interested in
it.  What's left is boring old-people coding; I did all the fun stuff
already.