Re: BUG #5297: Add XATMI C API

From: Michael Musgrove <mmusgrov(at)redhat(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5297: Add XATMI C API
Date: 2011-04-21 17:04:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs
On 04/21/2011 05:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Michael Musgrove<mmusgrov(at)redhat(dot)com>  writes:
>> The response to this issue says it is "Not a bug". Would it be possible
>> for someone to provide an indication of how much effort is involved in
>> providing XA support in the C API library (libpq)?
> What do you consider to be "providing XA support"?  XA requires there to
> be a transaction manager somewhere, which is not something libpq can
> provide since it's dependent on the good graces of its host application.
> Maybe there would be some value in teaching libpq to interact with an
> external XA manager, but what exactly do you think is required?
>
> 			regards, tom lane

I am referring to the X/Open specification Distributed Transaction
Processing: The XA Specification
(pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/009680699/toc.pdf). If postgresql
provides a conforming Resource Manager switch then we can include
postgresql work along with interactions with other Resource Managers
(Oracle, DB2) in the same transaction. For example the equivalent
support in Oracle that I am asking for is documented at
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B10501_01/appdev.920/a96590/adga1_xa.htm

Thanks,
Mike