Re: Connecting and creating db

From: "Sandy Keathley" <sandy(at)keathleywebs(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Connecting and creating db
Date: 2011-04-21 02:18:22
Lists: pgsql-novice

Thank you very much. That fixed everything.

> > Although I have used Postgres before, some years ago, I had never
> > installed it (maybe I still haven't). I have installed version 9.0
> > by RPM, on an RHEL 4 box. I can start the server, but there are two
> > problems:
>
> Whose RPM exactly?

Got it from Postgresql.

> > 1. logged in as user "postgres", I cannot connect to the database
> > server without first issuing (every time) the command: export
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/usr/pgsql/lib" This is annoying.
>
> Sounds like the RPM author neglected to see to updating the ldconfig
> data. If the RPM stuck a file in /etc/ld.so.conf.d pointing to
> /usr/pgsql/lib, you should just be able to run /sbin/ldconfig (as
> root) and be good --- otherwise consider doing that manually.

My fault. I removed a previous version, so to keep compatibility, I changed filenames
containing postgres-9.0 to just postgres, but missed a reference in ld.so.conf.d

> > 2. once connected to the cluster, I cannot create a database.
> > There is no error message, and nothing is logged. I am using the
> > command "createdb graves". Nothing happens.
>
> I wonder whether you're typing a shell command at the SQL prompt? If
> so, the first problem is you didn't terminate the command with a
> semicolon, and the second is that in SQL you'd have to say "create
> database graves;" --- createdb is a shortcut for doing this from a
> shell prompt, not something you can use within SQL.

I inferred from the docs that "createdb" was an alias for "create database", so I was using it
in a SQL context. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Thanks again.

Sandy Keathley