Re: BUG #5989: Assertion failure on UPDATE of big value

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(dot)linnakangas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #5989: Assertion failure on UPDATE of big value
Date: 2011-04-20 19:16:33
Lists: pgsql-bugs

> Egad. If that's it, my confidence in the amount of testing SSI
> has gotten has just dropped dramatically.

If I'm reading this correctly, it would appear that nobody has
updated anything to a TOASTed value in a build against HEAD in
testing *anything* in the last two and a half months. And the
regression tests don't include a single UPDATE to a TOASTed value
anywhere. That seems like a significant code coverage deficiency.

Attached is a patch to cure the latter of these. I'm submitting
this separately since it seems a good idea regardless of what
happens with the related SSI issue.

It is, of course, no excuse for making a dumb mistake like that, but
it wouldn't have survived the day on my machine or Dan's, much less
been submitted as a patch or committed, with the attached general
test of update-to-TOAST functionality in the regression tests.

-Kevin

Attachment Content-Type Size
test-update-to-toast.patch text/plain 1.2 KB