Re: BUG #5982: recursive type crashes postgres

From: "Kevin Grittner" <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
To: "Merlin Moncure" <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>,"Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Rikard Pavelic" <rikard(dot)pavelic(at)zg(dot)htnet(dot)hr>
Subject: Re: BUG #5982: recursive type crashes postgres
Date: 2011-04-15 22:14:43
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Consider we also have to send data to the database.  I can
> recursively wrap up data in the client using libpqtypes, fire it
> to a receiving function which unnests it and processes it.  This
> is a couple of orders of magnitude faster than streaming it in
> over multiple queries.

I'll think on that.  I hadn't really considered creating an ORM in
the database engine itself, which seems to me to be what you're
describing, but I guess it couldn't be worse than having an ORM on
the other end of the wire.

Is that a hard sell to your application programmers, or do you wear
both hats?

-Kevin