Re: SSDs with Postgresql?

From: Arnaud Lesauvage <arnaud(dot)listes(at)codata(dot)eu>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: SSDs with Postgresql?
Date: 2011-04-14 09:37:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Le 14/04/2011 10:54, John R Pierce a écrit :
> On 04/14/11 1:35 AM, Henry C. wrote:
>> Hint: don't use cheap SSDs - cough up and use Intel.
>
> aren't most of the Intel SSD's still MLC, and still have performance and
> reliability issues with sustained small block random writes such as are
> generated by database servers? the enterprise grade SLC SSD drives are
> things like STEC ZeusIOPS and Seagate Pulsar. and the majority of them
> end up in EMC and other big iron SAN systems.

I thnik Henry is referring to Intel's X25-E line. They are SLC,
enterprise grade.
Quite expensive though, ~700 euros for the 64GB version.
We have one of them in a production server (light load), it works very
well so far.
Performance gain versus WD Raptor RAID array is huge. I never tried to
quantify it.

Arnaud